Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:57:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large system backups; recommendations for devices & strategies?

> I'm looking for recommendations for both backup devices and backup
> strategies for a network of about six systems and perhaps 50GB of
> data.  Ultimately, I'd like something that can run more or less
> unattended, modulo media changes, etc.  (ie. I expect using Amanda or
> similar.)

All one filesystem? Multiple systems?

Others have suggested jukebox solutions but you might consider 5 or 10
(or 2 or 3) lower cost (than DLT or AIT) Exabyte 8505's which can put an
honest 4.8G (or more with compression) on a cheap tape. Plus multiple
drives gives you redundancy in hardware and parallel backup for more
speed.

The CD-R people are pushing their hardware for backups too. In volume a
600MB CD-R disk is approaching $1. Don't think that's a viable solution
for you.