Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 18:09:12 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

At 05:32 PM 2/9/2000 , Greg Lehey wrote:

>Jon, it's for reasons like this that I don't continue discussions with
>Brett.  If he could channel his ability into something positive, like
>the Daemon News article I suggested, it would be one thing.

I am, indeed, channeling most of my efforts into very positive things.
My occasional explanation of the history and nature of the GPL doesn't
take much of my time, but I do consider it to be important and
constructive.

I may yet do that Daemon News article. However, the disparaging remarks
that you made earlier dissuaded me from doing so. Why volunteer my time
if it won't be appreciated? I likewise dropped work on two device drivers
after Mike Smith berated those projects.

Don't expect me to contribute if you're going to look a gift horse
in the mouth.

>But it
>seems that his perception of the GPL is at the centre of his being,
>and nothing will shake it.

I wouldn't at all say that it's at the "centre of [my] being." But
I do very much believe in being ethical. One of the ways in which I AM
ethical is to expose schemes such as the GPL when I see them. But if
you think that this is all I do, you're wrong. I wrote a column and
about half a book chapter today.

--Brett