Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 01:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        andreas@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/xv Makefile

 * Yeah, I've commented on this in the past - our clean rule should
 * follow the same dependencies which would have been traversed in
 * building the port.  Right now, you can do:
 *
 * 	make all install && make clean
 *
 * In many ports and wind up with far more bits on your disk than when
 * you started due to depended ports being built but not cleaned again.
 * I'd say it's a "bug" for bsd.port.mk to fix and not something the
 * ports should be doing on their own, definitely.

Well, I wouldn't call that a "bug" though.  The problem here is that
we don't really know if the dependency was built just for this port or
not.

For instance, if someone is trying to fix a bug in the jpeg port, and
a "make clean" in xv deletes jpeg's work directory with all his
patches and stuff, we'll have one very unhappy hacker. ;)

I can change bsd.port.mk to keep the list of ports actually built
because of dependencies, but is this really worth it?

Satoshi