Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:13:01 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13020: Manpage capitalization

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:27:41PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

> For example;
>
>      Edit the /etc/fstab file when you add a new disk.
>
> vs.
>
>      Edit /etc/fstab when you add a new disk.
>
> (The second approach, is, IMHO, better).

Absolutely.

But I'm always a little cautious just to make sure it's clear to
the end reader that /etc/fstab is a file (particularly when I only know
it's a file because I'm reading the marked-up source).

> I have no problem with lower case function names at the beginning of
> sentances.  To use an analogy, if you were writing about the company

I have a pretty big problem with lower-case first letters, especially
given that mdoc will sometimes single-space after a period.

--
This is done by setting
.Ev BOO_ENV .

Would be rendered as

--
This is done by setting BOO_ENV. function(5) will know what you mean.
--

Which makes me want to kill someone.  Usually the person who forced me
into writing it that way.  :)

> "eTrade", you wouldn't capitalise the first "e" if the company name was
> the first word in a sentance.

If I was forced to put ``eTrade'' at the beginning of a sentence,
I would write "Company eTrade has sold 10 shares to Nik".  I wouldn't
try to force this particular quirk of mine on anyone else, though.  :-)

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.