Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:42:02 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cliff is a Luddite

[ Followups to chat (where I'm not subscribed :-) ]

    Terry> As to the idea that the observer always changes the thing
    Terry> being observed, that's silly.  It's only true if the observer
    Terry> isn't copetent, until you get down to the quantum level.

And in many cases, the "quantum" is defined by "the server just
crashed." Or more likely: who just crashed it. (See below.)

    Terry> Actually, the use of individual equipment is one of the
    Terry> things that's wrong with todays CS classes.  If you do your
    Terry> work on your own machine at home, rather than using shared
    Terry> resources, you never learn to "play nice" with other software
    Terry> on the system that you didn't plan on.  It's one of the
    Terry> reasons Windows Systems are so fragile these days, when
    Terry> programs from different vendors are loaded on them: the
    Terry> programmers responsible never had to learn to "play nice with
    Terry> the other kids".

A.k.a "those who ignore history are bound to repeat it." The amount of
time spent re-educating people who have been "Linux-ated" by university
computing science departments is just scary. Why oh why am I *still*
spending time explaining to 4th-year grads why it is not necessary to
'-f outfile' when the shell does that for you?  First, let's kill all
the CS profs. (Seriously. What has come over these people? And what
would happen to them if we wound the clock back eight years or so to the
point where Windows was not a realistic option, and Java didn't exist?
Was there no Computing Science back then?)

    Terry> I think his neo-luddite books "Silicon Snake Oil: Second
    Terry> Thoughts on The Information Highway" and "High Tech Heretic:
    Terry> Why Computers Don't Belong in the Classroom and Other
    Terry> Reflections by a Computer Contrarion" are a lot more telling,
    Terry> don't you?

Cliff is a luddite. Although I've been an amateur radio operator for 24
years I don't agree with his "I know morse code and therefore so should
you" attitude. Besides, anyone who microwaves his shoes should have his
root password, let alone his transmitting license, umm, nuked.

--lyndon