Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:03:44 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?SW1yZSBWYWTDoXN6?= <imrevdsz@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel 8265

Hi,

Something is weird with version 21 firmwares with iwm, which causes lots
of debugging notifications to be sent by the firmware. Version 22 firmware
only sends a single debugging notification during the initialization code of
iwm, when it initializes the LAR (Location Aware Regulatory) feature.

I already updated DragonFlyBSD's iwm to version 22 firmwares for those
chipsets where it is available (7265Dfw, 8000Cfw, 3168fw, 8265fw. older
chipsets are limited to version 17). There haven't really been any api
changes which are significant for iwm since version 16 firmware.
The only api that is relevant for AC82xx chipsets with newer firmware versions,
which is missing in the freebsd iwm is the firmware paging support
(IWM_FW_PAGING_BLOCK_CMD command).

Sorry for slacking on updating the FreeBSD iwm as well. I committed lots
of updates to DragonFlyBSD's iwm version, which should basically all be
easy to apply to the FreeBSD iwm.

Imre