Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:52:43 -0400
From:      Allen <bsd_atog@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

Hi,

I've been using FreeBSD on and off since 4.0-CURRENT, which seems like
almost a lifetime ago now, heh. I'm currently using FreeBSD
10.0-RELEASE and even though I've gotten my latest order from the
FreeBSD Mall (Which I bought 10.3-RELEASE on DVD along with a bunch of
other stuff for myself and my Wife) I'm not ready to upgrade yet since
I've gotten my system working how I like (Got WindowMaker set up, and
FVWM2, and some other stuff set up) so I'm using it for now.

Anyway, in all these years that have passed using FreeBSD and a bunch
of Linux distros, I never had time or patience enough to learn
Programming Languages, and I'm getting more and more to the part where
I'm thinking it's a good idea more so now than before.

I have the book "Learning Perl" that I bought a while back, and I've
also downloaded a bunch of stuff for Perl, Python, Ruby, and others, so
I'm just curious on basically what Languages anyone here would
recommend.

Literally anyone who responds with an opinion, I'm interested. Being
easy to learn for someone who isn't great with Math but does understand
Unix is a plus but not a requirement. I was starting to teach myself
Ruby on a Linux box I was using for a while and Ruby did seem to be
going OK, but a lot of the FreeBSD Books I've bought recommend Perl,
and I've also had just as many reasons from people saying to try
Python, so basically any Language and what reasons would be great.

-Allen