Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:58:27 +0100
From:      Peter Wolkerstorfer <a9203537@unet.univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please help on 1(one) ipf rule - still not working

BinarySoul wrote:

> you dont need any extra rule to your local network to access your
> firewall (throgh rl0).

this is exactly what i think, also - but it doesn't work.
i considered the advice from Crist J. Clark with the loopback device and
it won't help also.

so i will start all over again from the basics and build a new kernel.
(maybe i have missed something important there)

THX to all of you for your hints so far!

(i hope i don't have to stress your time again with the new kernel, as
far as my knowledge goes: in theory my ruleset should work as i want it)

peter "wolki" wolkerstorfer

p.s:

if youre interested - this is how i think it should work:

# the first three rules let me do everything from inside to outside
# THIS WORKS!!! - even with ssh (and all other stuff like pinging, dns,
pop3...)
pass out quick on rl1 proto tcp from 192.168.0.0/16 to any flags S/SA
keep state
pass out quick on rl1 proto udp from 192.168.0.0/16 to any keep state
pass out quick on rl1 proto icmp from 192.168.0.0/16 to any keep state

# this time i won't kill my loopback so these two rules are insertet
# THX to C.J. Clark
pass out quick on lo0 all
pass in  quick on lo0 all

# this rule should block all traffic coming from outside EXCEPT all the
# answers of all established connections from inside (keep state)
block in on rl1 all

<snip>
> > rl1 is the interface to external network, rl0 is internal network.
> >
> > what i want to do:
> > block ALL incoming traffic from the internet (also ssh) but connect to
> > the firewall from the internal network.
not solved:
> > problem:
> > i can't ssh-login from INTERNAL network to the firewall (which is
> > probably that i cannot ssh-login from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.1;
> > 192.168.0.1 is the firewall and the corresponding interface is rl0)
> >
> > BUT:
..still..