Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:11:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Patrick W. Penzias Dirks" <pwd@apple.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-FS@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-Arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for pivot_root-like system call?

"Patrick W. Penzias Dirks" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the filesystems tech lead in Apple's Mac OS X Core OS group.
> Prompted by the needs of, among others, virus protection software
> developers who want to be able to mount "on" the root directory to
> intercept ALL filesystem calls in the system, I'm contemplating
> implementation of a new system call in Mac OS X to do something like
> Linux's pivot_root system call:
>
>         int pivot_root(const char *new_root, const char *put_old);
>
> (which basically installs "new_root" as the new "/" [root_vnode] in
> the system and transfers the current root directory to the pathname
> specified my "put_old")

It doesn't work in FreeBSD proper because of cache coherency
bugs that have been around since 1995, but:

mount -t nullfs / /put_old # or wherever
mount -t <whatever> /

Would do what you want, I think.

Really, the BSD way of doing this is to stack an FS with the
feature you want on top of the one without the feature in it.

-- Terry