Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2013 19:27:54 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Steven Hartland <smh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "fs@freebsd.org" <fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing the default for ZFS atime to off?

On Jun 8, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:

> One of the first changes we make here when installing machines
> here to changing atime=3Doff on all ZFS pool roots.
>=20
> I know there are a few apps which can rely on atime updates
> such as qmail and possibly postfix, but those seem like special
> cases for which admins should enable atime instead of the other
> way round.
>=20
> This is going to of particular interest for flash based storage
> which should avoid unnessacary writes to reduce wear, but it will
> also help improve performance in general.
>=20
> So what do people think is it worth considering changing the
> default from atime=3Don to atime=3Doff moving forward?
>=20

+1 we turn it off on every ZFS filesystem (but we also don't use ZFS for ro=
ot)

> If so what about UFS, same change?
>=20

We leave atime enabled for UFS root partition, /usr partition, /tmp partiti=
on, and /var

But if/when we do use UFS for non-system partitions, we turn it off there t=
oo.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.