Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:59:01 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        Christoph Mallon <christoph.mallon@gmx.de>
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default FS Layout Too Small?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Christoph Mallon
<christoph.mallon@gmx.de> wrote:
> Maksim Yevmenkin schrieb:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Christoph Mallon
>> <christoph.mallon@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> You are not supposed to compile stuff (or put any other large and often
>>> changing stuff) on the root fs.
>>
>> uhmmm.... i _think_ he is talking about the fact that 512mb root fs is
>> barely enough to keep /boot/kernel/ and /boot/kernel.old/ together.
>> surely you agree that keeping previous (working) copy of the kernel is
>> a "really good idea" when trying out new kernel. i personally have
>> been bitten by the same problem. spinning hard drives are _really_ big
>> and cheap those days, so i would say we probably should increase
>> default root fs size.
>
> I have several old kernels on my 256MB / and there is no space problem.

well, good for you :) unfortunately, i'm not as lucky...

> uname -a
FreeBSD yak.dev.footprint.net 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #2
r188108: Tue Feb  3 16:46:46 PST 2009
max@yak.dev.footprint.net:/usr/obj/usr/svn/head/usr/src/sys/USB2
amd64

> df -h /
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a    496M    247M    209M    54%    /

> du -skh /boot/kernel/
222M    /boot/kernel/

> du -sk /boot/kernel/* | sort -rn -k1 | head -30
40448   /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols
11904   /boot/kernel/zfs.ko.symbols
11584   /boot/kernel/kernel
9888    /boot/kernel/xfs.ko.symbols
4272    /boot/kernel/if_ath.ko.symbols
2592    /boot/kernel/wlan.ko.symbols
2432    /boot/kernel/nfsclient.ko.symbols
1920    /boot/kernel/if_nxge.ko.symbols
1808    /boot/kernel/sound.ko.symbols
1808    /boot/kernel/cam.ko.symbols
1776    /boot/kernel/ahd.ko.symbols
1744    /boot/kernel/miibus.ko.symbols
1744    /boot/kernel/if_cxgb.ko.symbols
1664    /boot/kernel/linux.ko.symbols
1536    /boot/kernel/zfs.ko
1504    /boot/kernel/if_igb.ko.symbols
1488    /boot/kernel/if_em.ko.symbols
1456    /boot/kernel/iw_cxgb.ko.symbols
1408    /boot/kernel/usb2_core.ko.symbols
1392    /boot/kernel/ipl.ko.symbols
1376    /boot/kernel/smbfs.ko.symbols
1312    /boot/kernel/drm.ko.symbols
1168    /boot/kernel/pf.ko.symbols
1136    /boot/kernel/hwpmc.ko.symbols
1040    /boot/kernel/ext2fs.ko.symbols
1024    /boot/kernel/mpt.ko.symbols
1008    /boot/kernel/ahc.ko.symbols
992     /boot/kernel/ndis.ko.symbols
960     /boot/kernel/xfs.ko
944     /boot/kernel/radeon.ko.symbols

so, imo, its very reasonable to just bump the default root fs size and
be done with it.

thanks,
max