Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:17:05 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need anti-exchange ammunition

Stephen McKay wrote:

> In fact, the whole thing has been sold as a money saving operation.  But
> not from equipment or software costs, but administration costs.  For this
> sort of thing, management are utterly convinced that point and click is
> better than a command line interface.  After all, they have no idea what
> to do with a command line interface, and their Unix jockeys are way
> expensive.  Ergo, in with the GUI, out with the CLI!
>
> To summarise that point (because I'm sure we could have a big advocacy
> storm on this one if we really wanted), the reasoning goes like this:
> expensive people use CLI, cheap people use GUI, so let's buy a lot of
> GUI software.  It's not really about sendmail vs exchange.

Was any thought given to purchasing the commercial, supported Sendmail Pro
GUI for administration?  See http://www.sendmail.com/guide/index.html.

> Someone asked about sizing.  We have approximately the same number of Unix
> server admins as Novell server admins, and about twice as many Unix boxes
> as Novell boxes.  This is partially because the existing mail system is
> CCMail, and that keeps them busy repairing it all the time.  A couple NT
> boxes have appeared under the guise of pilot studies.  There are a whole
> heap of PC support people who manage desktops and do the user hand holding
> stuff.

My partner is a full-time UNIX SA for a local call-center company.  They have
21 large HP machines, 2 Sun servers, and one lonely UnixWare machine, and 2
SAs.  They only had one until 4 months ago, when they hired a backup so they
wouldn't have to call Jody everytime one of the Oracle DBAs hiccuped.

They also have 8 NT servers owned by the "end luser computing" group, and 7
full-time NT admins to keep them running.  I'll leave the math up to you.

> Our current mail system supports about 1500 people.  We know we could do
> the lot with imap and a couple FreeBSD boxes (distributed over the state),
> but I've discovered that the killer argument is that the mail program must
> come with a scheduler/organiser, just like CCMail.  Again, management are
> utterly convinced that scheduling and mail are the same stuff.  They can
> point to CCMail and say "We want one just like this, except that works".
> We have nothing to offer, calendar wise.  Suggestions solicited!

Netscape Enterprise server.  If there is a (recent) version that runs on
FreeBSD, I'd love to hear about it.  It's certainly a better answer than
Ex-crud.

> Someone mentioned NDS.  This is the new wonder product, I'm told.  We are
> getting it here in a big way, and it will link in with Exchange too.
> Apparently it will replace all our account login details on every system
> in our entire organisation, and will replace DNS and DHCP.  Phew!  That's
> another story though, and we are well advanced in arguing against it.
> Still, if anyone has any reason to believe that NDS distributed replication
> doesn't work, I'm all ears. :-)

In fact NDS works pretty well.  It's a damn good thing we have LDAP support
in FreeBSD, isn't it?

> In fact, the "Save Our DNS/DHCP" campaign is the only thing to bear fruit
> so far.  Partially it's because of my catchy slogan:
>
>     "It's a text file.  And we *love* it!"
>
> referring to the plain text config files which we use for everything, and
> which we revision control and grep etc, vs the difficulty of doing anything
> sensible with a GUI.  The slogan is so catchy that I've convinced a layer
> or two of management to fight our cause.  In the "you win some, you lose
> some" situation, I'll keep the DNS, DHCP and password file, and lose the
> mail system, if I have to.

Tell them they can use the RCS logs to determine who to fire when somebody
screws up.  Managers just love having someone to point a finger at.