Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 07:13:48 -0700
From:      Phil Staub <phils@staub.net>
To:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        Phillip Davenport <phillipd@antares.cloudnet.com>, small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD  help - dial version

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 11:45:00PM +1000, Paul Jansen wrote:
> Well it seems that the presence of a kernel.conf file
> in the root directory of the floppy has stopped the
> visual kernel configuration screen coming up.  It
> seems that having 'USERCONFIG' at tyhe top and 'quit'
> at the bottom is what was needed.  My problem now is
> that I have no idea what should be in the file.

There are commands in that file something like:

di psm0
di zp0
di ze0
di lnc0
di le0
di ie0
di fe0
di ex0
di ep0
di cs0
di wt0
di scd0
di mcd0
di matcdc0
di aic0
di aha0
di adv0

(This is the content of my kernel.conf file on my "big" machine.)

Also, if you have changed port addresses, irq settings, or dma
settings, these are in there too. Though I don't have any examples in
my file, I think they are of the form:

port <device> <port#>
irq <device> <interrupt#>
dma <device> <dma#>

> When the kernel is loaded and it parses the commands
> in my kernel.conf file the messages fly by on the
> screen so quickly.  Is there any way I can pause it so
> that I can read these messages?  As the messages fly

Once the machine has booted, login (if your configuration has a login
shell) and type
	dmesg | more
at the prompt. This will "replay" the startup message piped through
more.

> by I have noticed that it doesn't like the commands I
> have in my file.  Can someone help me with what format
> the config commands in this file should be in?  Are
> there instructions or a reference to this any where?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> --- Phillip Davenport <phillipd@antares.cloudnet.com>
> wrote: > In article
> >
> <20000807235315.17724.qmail_web5102.mail.yahoo.com@ns.sol.net>
> > you wrote:
> >
> > > I'm pretty sure that my configuration is not being
> > > saved anywhere though.  Part of the problem is
> > saving
> > > my device configuration- another part is the
> > kernel
> > > config screen popping up.
> >
> > This the undocumented /kernel.config recipe.
> >
> > Mount the dial floppy.
> > edit /kernel.config
> > insert text [without quotes]
> > 'USERCONFIG'
> > [your config commands]
> > 'quit'
> > save /kernel.config
> >
> > The USER_CONFIG setup in PicoBSD .04x doesn't save
> > /kernel.config..

Phil Staub, KE7HC
phils@staub.net
Unix: because reboots are for hardware upgrades