Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:24:51 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS passdevgonecb

Da Rock wrote:

> I hate jumping in like this out of the blue, but time is not on my side
> atm with a lot going on.
>
> I have a problem with some devices disappearing on various versions of
> FreeBSD and machines (laptops, workstations/servers). Umass are the
> norm, with the message occurring most on usb sticks and sd cards.
>
> Big problem atm is that my file server has a failed disk in the raid,
> and I've tried replacing it with a new drive (twice now), and both times
> it begins to resilver and then it is "REMOVED". If I online it again, it
> goes for about 10mins then REMOVED again.
>
> Dmesg shows that the device is removed from the devfs with a
> passdevgonecb/lost device message. This apparently occurs right at boot
> too, as it shows amongst the usual scrolling during boot.
>
> I had a chat with someone and they mentioned the cable and/or controller
> could be the issue. Could anyone add any insight or tests I could do?
> I'm not exactly claim to be an expert at zfs, so maybe something might
> need addressing there too.
>
> I'd particularly appreciate a means of testing the controller.
>
> ATM the main theory is to replace the board - not a happy thought! :/

Another item to consider, even if only to exclude it, is: what kind of
drives are these? Are they server RAID certified or are they 'consumer'
desktop types. RAID certified are designed to time-limit attempts at error
recovery. There is a window in time that if a consumer drive takes too long
at internal ECC the controller will drop it. Doubt this is your case, I bet
you have server drives. I just mention it because using consumer desktop
drives on RAID controllers can sometimes be problematic.

-Mike