Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 22:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Quite wll said, and I avidly dislike Microsoft.  Freedom is core to our
country, and our way of life.  Capitalism is a way to express that
freedom.  I do not think the issue at hand here _is_ the quality of Win98.
I've seen it....we've all seen it in Comdex.  It's not all that good.  In
fact, it's rushed and, to quote Microsoft, it's "mostly good."  The issue
at hand is how far can a corporation go and still preserve the freedom we
charish.  Should Gates be allowed to assasinate CEOs of competiting
companies?  Of course not.  I'm not saying he is, don't get me wrong.  But
he is doing a kind of corporate assasination  He is forcing companies to
give the people what _he_ wants us to have.  Do we really want Win98?  No.
What do we want?  That's for us to decide.  Gates is not letting us do
that.  Sure, YOU and I do that.  We choose FreeBSD.  People who don't know
better, can't get the information we have access to becuase PC retailers
aren't allowed to tell then about it.  They can only bundle Winodws with
their computers...or only NOT Windows.  This is corporate suicide.

Your statements are correct.  Microsoft should not be forced to distribute
Netscape or any other browser with Win98.  That is stupid.  And as for
making the browser part of the OS, I think CEOs of companies who read the
Wall Street Journal to find out what to buy will see Explorer in the OS as
a security concern.  They don't know any better.  How will they be able to
deliniate where their computer ends and the Internet begins?  How can they
know their data is safe?  I think people are starting to come around and
realize that Windows is a scam.  But, you're right, they should reach that
conclusion on without the DOJ...and without Gates force-feeding them.
Someone needs to open the window in the PC market.  I think the free OS
revolution is the solution.

Joe Clarke