Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:55:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mitch James <mitch@hardware.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Private network & routing to the internet via PPP w/one IP

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Mitch James wrote:

> I have been reading the archives and all the fine manuals I can find to
> for an answer and still don't have one.  I need to double check my
> understanding of what FreeBSD V2.1.5 can do.
>
> I have one IP via PPP to a local ISP.  I am using the BSD box to connect
> and want to route the private network IP's in and out to the Internet.
> I'm using a 3com 509 eithernet card to the Win95 machines.  I'm able to
> telnet into the BSD box but not though to the Inet.  My question is: Can
> FreeBSD 2.1.5 route the trafic for a private IP network as it comes on the
> CD-Rom without any other software?  or Must I use SOCK5 ? Are there other
> options to SOCKS5?

Question:  Are the private LAN's IP addresses Internet-legal?  If yes, you
should be able to enable gatewaying in /etc/sysconfig and all should be
well.  If not, you'll have to use SOCKS or NAT as a proxy server.

> One last question, is there a port/package preprepared for FreeBSD 2.1.5
> available @freebsd.org? If there is, where is it?

Yes, there is a socks5 port at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/net/socks5

> Thank you all in advance, the sharing of your cumulative knowledge has been
> one of the greatest benifits of I've received from learning about FreeBSD.

:-)

Perhaps we can add this ppp<->internet gatewaying mess to a FAQ. It's the
Question Of The Month.  :-)