Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:46:50 +0200
From:      Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
To:        Jens B <fake-addy2@web.de>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Woes of xorg 7.2 upgrade ...

Jens B wrote:
> * Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl> [2007-06-09 09:45]:
>
>> I've been struggling now for 2 weeks trying to do the xorg upgrade,
>> following the upgrading instructions to a tee, but it has turned into a
>> complete mess.
>>
>> If worse comes to worse, what it the best way to proceed?
>>
>> Is there an easy way just to reinstall xorg from scratch?
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Kiffin Rex Gish
>> Gouda, The Netherlands
>>

> In such cases the best would be to deinstall xorg with all
> dependencies and install xorg from scratch.

Believe or not, I tried to install a new computer over the weekend. I
installed only the base system from the CD, and tried to install with

portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
make
make install
portupgrade -a
rehash
portinstall xorg-server

The result was a message saying that I should read /usr/ports/UPDATING
and follow the instructions there to upgrade from 6.9 to 7.2. Even after
I installed portupgrade-devel and "setenv XORG_UPGRADE" I still had
trouble installing xorg 7.2 I'm not talking about upgrading, this was a
new install. I believe there are problems with the xorg server in the
ports tree, but I had no time to send in a report. I just fixed it by
hand. If some of you is going to install a new machine in the future,
please run it inside "script" and send a bug report.

Best,

   Laszlo