Date:      21 Apr 2002 23:11:32 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Easy way to copy CD-ROM > MS-floppy?

Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:

| Your reply was too late

Sorry for the delays, but I was on a trip this past weekend.  Just got back.

| It worked perfectly (see, newbies are adaptable).

And *that's* for accusing me of being redundant.  :)

| Anyone who thinks a cli system is as productive is simply kidding
| themselves.

Actually, the strength of a CLI is scripting and flexibility.  The friendliness
of the interface is directly proportional to how much you have to babysit the
system---at least, so far.  Hopefully, progress will solve that.

| One small example: double-click <...name_here...>.cue (by file association,
| this launches EAC with the cue sheet loaded), and then click "Make CDR" (this
| burns a CDR with the files named in the cue sheet with CD-text -- track
| titles, etc.), then, work on something else while the CDR is being made --
| and I didn't have to touch the keyboard. Just "click-click", then
| "click". **NO** cli system can be *that* efficient.

And yet, assuming that you had a script for this, you could just type

        $ sear whatever.cue &

to run it in the background.  With shell-completion (most of the shells have
that), you could shorten this to, say

        $ sear wh<tab>

and run it that way.  And you didn't have to hunt for the mouse, or even remove
your hands from the keyboard.  :)