Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:10:01 -0500
From:      Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Timothy Luoma <lists@tntluoma.com>
Subject:   Re: can't figure out Brother 1240 + CUPS

The "known" printers have .ppd files in /usr/local/share/cups/model.

Did you get a CD with the Brother?  I recently bought a Brother HL-6050DN mono
laser, and it's CD had a PPD in various directories.  I copied the ppd to the
model directory and viola...

You might try the Brother web site... http://www.brother.com/
and since you didn't mention it, you might look at
http://www.linuxprinting.org/