Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:54:59 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM under 4.x STABLE ?

Thanks for the quick response!  I have the card installed, but it seems to
be complaining about broken DMA.  This is on an Intel 810e motherboard.  I
ran the DOS diag util and according to it, all tests including the DMA
tests passed.

en0: <Efficient Networks ENI-155p> mem 0xfe000000-0xfe3fffff irq 11 at
device 8.0 on pci1
en0: unexpected timeout in rx DMA test
en0: WARNING: DMA test detects a broken PCI chipset!
      trying to work around the problem...  but if this doesn't
      work for you, you'd better switch to a newer motherboard.
en0: ATM midway v0, board IDs 6.0, Utopia (pipelined), 512KB on-board RAM
en0: maximum DMA burst length = 64 bytes (must align)
en0: 7 32KB receive buffers, 8 32KB transmit buffers allocated
en0: End Station Identifier (mac address) 00:20:ea:0c:1f:ba
en0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

At 08:46 AM 1/16/01 -0800, Richard Hodges wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > I am about to try CLIP using the Efficient OC-3 card under 4.x. Are there
> > any issues I should be aware of ?
>
>Well, the mbuf (network buffer) size was changed going from 4.0 to 4.1 and
>the Fore PCA200 driver broke (patch available).

Super.  I will have a look through the archives for the patch.

> >  Should I be using the hea or en drivers ?
>
>The "en" driver is a lot simpler, since it is intended for one card
>family (ENI, Adaptec, SMC), and may be more straightforward if you
>only want to use a small number of PVCs.  The HARP stack is really
>the way to go if you want to use other cards or SVCs.

This box will only have one function, to connect to my upstream on OC-3.  I
ordered an IMC SM to MM media convertor that I will try out.  The box will
only push about 30Mb/s through it as well as do BGP with the upstream
peer.  Currently I am doing via ethernet on a slower box and it handles the
load just fine.  Hopefully, the ATM card will do the trick as well.

         ---Mike