Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:27:12 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting ZFS pools back.

On 29-4-2018 16:40, Alan Somers wrote:
> So your kernel couldn't find the pool.  That might be due to a GEOM
> module that wasn't loaded but should've been (were you using gmirror or
> geli or something?).  Or you might've accidentally destroyed the pool.
> It would still show up in "zdb -l", albeit in the destroyed state.  Or
> you might've accidentally destroyed the partition.  If the pool had
> resided on the disk's last partition, then "zdb -l /dev/ada0" still
> would've seen the label, since there's a copy of the label at the end of
> the device.  But if you've reused the disk, then there's no way to know
> for sure.

Hi Alan,

I still have one of the original disks of the mirror, but the
system/hardware causing trouble is back in use in the DC.
No geli, or anything other that basic GEOM was involved.
Disks were running on GPT:
	boot
	swap
	zroot
	zfsdata

And yes zdb -l was able to find both pools: zroot, and zfsdata.
And I'm pretty sure I did not destroy them on purpose. ;-)

Trouble started when I installed (freebsd-update) 11.1 over a running
10.4. Which is sort of scarry?

But because the system needed to go back on the air, I did only so much
to recover the original stuff. But it just kept naging me over the GUID
it could not find. So for sake of progress I reinstalled the system on
one of the mirror disks, keeping the other one.

So I could hook that disk up to my Freetest play box, and see what that
brings. If anyone is interested.
But than again the zpool import could have fixed what was broken in the
first place. Haven't looked at it yet, since the 12 hour straight
session yesterday was enough for the weekend.

--WjW