Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Peter S. Housel" <housel@acm.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 problems for PCI

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Peter S. Housel wrote:
> I've been having problems with -current not recognizing my RealTek
> 8029-based PCI Ethernet card.  It worked fine in my previous machine
> running -current from July, but neither the late September snapshot
> that I installed on the new machine nor the cvsup version from about a
> week ago can configure the card.  The pciconf and dmesg output are
> shown below:

Ok, I found a PCI NE2000 board and put it in a scratch box:

ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (ProLAN)> irq 14 at device 12.0 on pci0
ed0: address 00:20:78:11:87:8c, type NE2000 (16 bit)

I suspect that the card is failing to to allocate an IRQ; if you could add
printf()s in the right places we'll know for sure.

I think its time to force the PCI newbus code to automatically make IRQs
RF_SHAREABLE.  I did this with the MCA code since you can't have unshared
IRQs on a PS/2 (not on the MCA bus anyways.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |