Date:               Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:40:48 UTC-2
From:      "Grant Carter" <GCARTER@eleceng.uct.ac.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Kernel panic

Hello

I have a PINE (PT-7502) Pentium PCI motherboard with the Intel i430VX
chipset. The board has 256K of pipelined burst cache on a COAST
module. I am currently running a Cyrix 6x86 120Mhz processor
on it and 2x16Mb EDO, TIN plated, 60ns Hitachi SIMMS. I also have an
ExpertColor DSV 3325 (S3 Virge (325) based PCI video card). I am
currently running BSD 2.1

My problem is this: Whenever I make world, I get the following panic:
"rlist_free : free start overlaps already freed area at list tail."
This happens at different times during the "make world" process.
Putting 2x8Mb non-parity SIMMS in seems to solve the problem. If
different EDO SIMMS (also TIN plated) are inserted, the problem still
persists. I have tried swapping out the video card as well but have
had no luck. My kernel is compiled for a 486. Thus there seems to be
a problem with this motherboard, EDO SIMMS and BSD (the board world
fine under e.g. '95 and NT).

The person whom I bought the motherboard from says there is no
problem with his motherboard. He thinks that by putting GOLD plated
SIMMS in the motherboard, the problem could go away. The motherboard
manual says nothing about the need for gold plated SIMMS. The
supplier basically says that this is a BSD problem.

3 questions:
1) What causes this particular kernel panic i.e. could someone please
explain the error to me.

2) Why would GOLD plated SIMMS make a difference (assuming they do as
the system is currently being tested)

3) Should I continue kicking up a fuss about the motherboard by
saying that it should not matter whether I insert TIN or GOLD plated
SIMMS? What valid reasons can I give my supplier that this
motherboard is not suitable (assuming of course that it is not).

Many thanks in advance
Grant

---
Grant Carter                            gcarter@eleceng.uct.ac.za
Electrical Engineering Student          University of Cape Town
                "Coffee not found - operator halted!"