Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:24:07 +0400
From:      rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: preventing FIFO from EOF

> BTW, buffer was written way back when memory was measured
> in kilobytes and the ethernet was 10 mgb, so things have changed a bit, and
> its effectivness is questionable :-)

My scenario:

prog1 | prog2

where both are daemons. prog1 does all the work, and sends commands for
prog2 to do when needed. I don't want prog1 to block while prog2 is busy
executing the command. So a buffer is inserted between the two:

prog1 | buffer | prog2

Asynchronous execution of commands. It's as simple as that.