Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:40:07
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick question: multicast->unicast?

At 11:21 AM 9/21/99 -0300, you wrote:
>Is there anything I can run on a subnet that would take a multicast signal
>and unicast it to clients like winamp? *raised eyebrow*

Marc (et al),

If you're looking for a way to receive MP3/RTP multicast streams, and play
then using Winamp (or some other MP3 audio player), then you can do this
with the "playRTPMPEG" tool: <http://www.live.com/multikit/playRTPMPEG.html>;

E.g., you can run (on a multicast-capable machine "A"):
  playRTPMPEG -h <some-port-number> <multicast-addr>/<multicast-port> <ttl>

Then, on another machine, you can run:
  winamp http://<machine-A>:<some-port-number>;
and Winamp will play the MP3 stream.

You can also run playRTPMPEG and Winamp (or some other MP3 player) on the
same machine, and just run
	winamp http://localhost:<some-port-number>;

    Ross.