Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:39:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@scottevil.com
Subject:   Re: skipping fsck with soft-updates enabled

Scott Oertel wrote:
 > I am wondering what kind of problems would occur, besides lost space, if
 > after a system crash a fsck is skipped. According to the documentation,
 > with soft-updates enabled, the file system would be consistant, there
 > would just be lost resources to be recovered which I am assuming can be
 > safely done at a later time to avoid long periods of downtime during
 > peek hours.

I think that's exactly what the background fsck feature
does.  If you enable it (which is even the default), the
fsck process doesn' start right away, so the system comes
up in multi-user mode immediately.  Then a snapshot is
created on the file system, and fsck runs on the snap-
shot, freeing the lost space in the file system.

Of course, it only works reliably with soft-updates enabled,
_and_ there must not be any unexpected inconsistencies.
However, with some common setups (e.g. cheap disks lying
about completed write operation) it is difficult to
guarantee the consistency.  Soft-updates is rather fragile
when the hardware doesn't work exactly as it's supposed to.
I've witnessed breakage in the past, and for that reason
I always disable the background fsck feature.  And it's the
reason I'm looking forward to gjournal to become stable,
because it seems to be less fragile in the presence of
imperfect hardware.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is to C as Lung Cancer is to Lung."
        -- Thomas Funke