Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:20:51 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        browna4@rpi.edu, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux games under FreeBSD

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 03:30:50PM +0200, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten Linux games( ie Loki software games like Quake 3 ) to
> > work under BSD? And ifff so how? and also which 3D accelorator is most
> > likely to give the least amount of problems under BSD? thank you
>
> Here is a bit of information:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/quake3
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/unreal_tournament
>
> If anyone has new hints, I would love to post it too.

Recently I succeeded to get UT version 4.25 running on FreeBSD, by using
the binary from Loki Games in RH 6.1 and transferring the patched files to
FreeBSD. Running the binary in FreeBSD gives some trouble... I've come to the
point where it keeps asking for the CD to be mounted even when I've mounted the
CD almost everywhere, including copying the contents to /usr/compat/linux/cdrom
and run the binary in a chroot'ed linux bash shell. Anyway, in RH 6.1 it runs
fine (but I didn't succeed yet in getting my voodoo2 card to work in Linux...
it works well in FreeBSD 4.0 on the same machine with the exact same rpm...).

Also, I installed libmikmod in /usr/compat/linux so now I have music in ut :-).
Would it be useful that I write some notes about it so it can be added to
the above mentioned ut-page? How about the patching? People without a
Linux distro are in trouble. An option is to redistribute the patched files
in some form (would need Loki permission I guess?) or to keep trying to
hack the Linux patch binary some more...

BTW, patching from 4.00 to 4.13 can be done quite easily in FreeBSD, but
this step is not needed for 4.00 -> 4.25.

A cool thing about 4.25 is that it supports OpenGL, so it should work on
a wider variety of cards than the 4.00 version (only 3dfx). I didn't try yet,
but I think that I'll give it a shot with my G200.

Regards,
Karel.