Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 18:45:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        nadav@cs.technion.ac.il (Nadav Eiron)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDROM problems...

Nadav Eiron:
 >able to install FreeBSD from that CDROM drive using the ATAPI boot floppy,
 >however I cannot make it work after the installation is complete.
 >mount gives "Device not configured" on wcd0c.
 >
 >Where did I go wrong (I did uncomment the options ATAPI and the wcd0
 >lines from the kernel configuration and did a rebuild, actually many
 >rebuilds...).

Was it detected by the kernel when you booted ("dmesg | grep atapi")?

Also regarding two masters, I read in an FAQ somewhere that by putting a
hard disk on the same IDE controller with a slower drive like an IDE
CD-ROM, the hard disk will have to talk at the slower rate if the interface
doesn't support separate timings for master and slave devices.  You may
have checked into that, but if not you might want to.  I chose to avoid the
issue altogether and put my IDE CD-ROM on the second controller.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com