Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 17:44:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for bootable Vinum file systems: please review

On Monday,  8 May 2000 at 10:09:54 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200005080323.VAA04115@caspian.plutotech.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" wri
> tes:
>
>> My belief, and this is probably shared by phk, is that the handlers
>> for different partition types should be "executed" or "attached to"
>> as those partitions are found.  A scan of a list is only necessary
>> in the event of a handler being registered after a partition is found.
>> Although devstat may suffice for the latter, it was not designed to
>> handle the former.  'GEOM' is what you want although I don't know
>> how soon phk can provide it to you.
>
> I agree.  GEOM is probably still a month or two away, depending how
> my summer goes.
>
> When greg began working on this root-mount stuff I offered to make
> him an API into the disk-minilayer (ie: struct disk list), but
> he never sent me an email with what information he needed.

I don't recall this offer.

> The offer is still open.

Well, this all seems rather ridiculous, since we have the data
available, the code is finished, and the GEOM stuff will presumably
replace it, but if you want, what I want is: the name of the disk
partitions that the drivers have found.  That's all, as you can see
from the patch I supplied.

Greg