Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:36:08 +0900
From:      pak chooie <pak.chooie@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't install 7.0-RC3 on dell dimension 3100 (usb problems)

Hello,

I am unable to boot (and much less install) FreeBSD on a Dell Dimension3100 computer, apparently due to some usb problems.

here's the error message

<snip>
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250 or not responding
sio0: [ITHREAD]
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs
sio1: port may not be enabled
usb1: controller halted
uhub1: device problem (IOERROR) disabling port 1
<snip>

then the system continues to boot normally and I am greeted by sysinstall. However the keyboard (and all other usb devices) no longer functions, rendering the system unusable.

I tried to install 7.0-RC3 but this problem seems to affects other versions as well. I found an unsolved PR from 2006 (!) in which several users have reported similar issues:

Is there some way to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pak