Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:02:48 -0600
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <wheelman@nuc.net>
To:        "Shawn Ramsey" <shawn@cpl.net>, "Julian Elischer" <julian@whistle.com>, "Dean" <dean@thegrid.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new RAM question

>Yes, Chipsets not caching ram is a big problem. The only Intel Pentium
>chipset that can cache more than 64MB of ram is the HX chipset. The same
was
>true for 486 boards, many could only cache 16MB. Its really stupid that
>adding ram could have a detrimetal effect on perfermance...

Actually, the VIA Apollo VP2 chipset supports everything that the Intel TX
chipset supports, plus caching of up to 512MB RAM.  We're using FIC PA-2007
motherboards here, and they perform extremely well...  I haven't done any
tests with FreeBSD, so I don't know how they work there.

If they *DO* work though, they'll be a very nice alternative to HX boards.

Anyone know?

Jaime Bozza
Nucleus Communications, Inc.