Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing files in /lost+found causes panic

My apologies to all for the missed reply. I think it may be time to
find a new mailer; cancel & send in Pine are to close together.

:->> 1) fsck checks the filesystem and gives it the OK, but it isn't.
:->  Yes, but is this a -p", which only does a partial check?  If so, that
:->may be what it is supposed to do.

On first reading this, my reaction was "-p" stands for "preen", and it
does *not* do a partial check! Checking the documentation and code
showed that that reaction was in deed correct - if fsck in preen mode
checks the disk, it does a complete check - but this is still a valid
question, because "-p" checks to see if the disk is marked clean, and
skips the rest of the disk in that case.

I just want to make sure that nobody thinks that they missing
something if they run fsck in preen mode after a crash. They aren't -
preen mode is designed for system startup, and so does things quietly,
and fixes things that it can safely fix, and runs them in parallel
(which was what Chris Torek's "preen" command, from whence this mode
gets it's name, did) to take advantage of overlapped IO.

	<mike