Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:02:26 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wpub1@triton.net
Subject:   Re: Can't "make buildworld"

>> Does the -I override for making make break something?  I guess it does
>> if sys.mk is suitably old.
>
>The top level makefile (I think) always uses the included .mk files from
>/usr/share/mk which are not necessarily what is required to build the
>source on a non-up-to-date system. I'd say that the "official best

The top level is supposed to do very little, so that the files in
/usr/share/mk are good enough.  The point I'm concerned about is that
when -I is used to force use of src/share/*.mk for building `make',
it may give a conflicting set of .mk files - sys.mk from /usr/share/mk
and everything else source-relative.  At least one other bug has crept
in: the source-relative files are not used at all for bootstrapping
mtree.

Bruce