Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:04:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fetch/wget/ftp: How to do a recursive ftp-get?

Leif Neland wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > > This is where a useful tool like wget comes into play.  Wget can be pretty
 > > much used as an automated replacement for fetch, or FTP URL retrieval.  Can
 > > also be plugged into the whole ports system so that it can retrieve the
 > > ports data packages.
 >
 > But which tool can do a command-line, recursive ftp-get? wget can't,
 > because it does not create subdirs below the one specified, i.e. if I do
 > a wget -r ftp://webmaster:password@webserver.my.dom/htdocs/tree, it will
 > create the dir webserver.my.dom/htdocs/tree, but not any subdomains to
 > that.

/usr/ports/ftp/omi (was moved from /usr/ports/net a few weeks
ago).

omi -s webserver.my.dom -r /htdocs/tree -l /local/tree \
    -u webmaster -e password

Note that it is a bad idea to use real passwords in that way,
because others can see them in the `ps` output.  You can put
the password in your ~/.omirc, for example (and make sure it
has permissions 600).

Teaching omi to accept URL syntax is on my to-do list.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)