Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:18:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        "Matthias Apitz" <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        marcus@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net-im/pidgin-2.6.2

On Fri, October 2, 2009 9:33 am, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The pidgin-2.6.2 sources (http://www.pidgin.im/) contain an important
> fix for the problem that Yahoo! recently has changed something in the
> protocol and old IM clients (like Kopete of KDE 3.5.10) can't connect
> anymore to the Yahoo servers.
>
> I've fetched the sources directly (pidgin-2.6.2.tar.bz2) and they
> configure and compile fine with the following options:
>
> $ ./configure --disable-vv --disable-nm --disable-tcl
> $ gmake
> # gmake install
>
> $ pidgin -v
> Pidgin 2.6.2 (libpurple 2.6.2)
>
> The resulting IM client works fine with MSN and Yahoo.
>
> This morning I went to the FreeBSD ports collection server:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=pidgin&stype=all
> and there is a version 2.6.2 as well; I've fetched the tar ball of the
> port in the hope that I will compile in my FreeBSD 8-CURRENT like the
> above direct compile from source did. But the port-2.6.2 fetches older
> sources (2.5.5) which does not contain the above mentioned fixes.
> Why is this?

That port includes the net-im/libpurple Makefile and that defines which
version and distfile that is. So you would have to fetch that too and
change the path where it is included ... very ugly. There are probably
other dependencies updated too that you would also need to track manually.

How about updating your ports tree as everybody else does?

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/