Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:28:21 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to adjust volume for the emu10k

--Boundary-02=_Oxus/XOYgnEmzBm

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 05:26 pm, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> I have a SB Live Value installed and the thing that bothered me since
> using FreeBSD is the very low volume on that card/chip. I have to turn
> the volume of my HiFi Equipment way up to hear anything. Now when
> switching to CD or FM playback I have to be very careful to first turn
> the volume down, otherwise my speakers may take damage. The Windows
> driver gets this right IMHO, there a 'moderate' mixer setting is needed
> to get a signal that's strong enough for my hifi.
>=20
> Setting the FreeBSD mixer in the range of 95-100% results in
> distorted/overamplified sound. So the question is where to set a higher
> gain in the emu10k driver? I could live with a self-made patch, I only
> need someone to point me to documentation for that chip and the place
> where I would have to change things.
>=20
This sounds exactly like the problem with my Hercules Game Theatre XP. =20
What I'm pretty sure the problem is that there is an external amp (mine is=
=20
in  the breakout box) that was not turned on by the driver, I figured out=20
the bit to flip by looking at which bit the alsa folks flipped, then=20
figured out how to do it in the FreeBSD driver.  So you'll probably have=20
to figure out how to turn on the external amp for your card.
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 5 at device 9.0 on pci0
> pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Ulrich Sp=F6rlein
> --=20
> PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Get it while it's hot!
> PGP Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44
> I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded
> pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".	-- Ken Thompson
>=20
Good luck.
=2D-=20
Anish Mistry