Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:50:02 GMT
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/138698: lang/php5: PHP session.save_path vulnerability

The following reply was made to PR ports/138698; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,  andzinsm@volt.iem.pw.edu.pl
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:49:14 +0200

 Yes, it is clear now and with owner root, it works.

 I propose to make this optional, as somebody has /tmp optimized for
 better speed (another disk device, flash device, RAM disk etc.) but not
 /var/lib/php5.
 And FreeBSD doesn't have /var/lib by default. /var/lib/* is mostly used
 by some Linux distributions). I am not sure if it is the right place to
 put these files, according to man hier(7).
 Next thing to think about is, that /tmp is (or easily can be) cleared at
 system startup, but /var/*/* not.
 If we do some change in default php.ini, it affects more then just
 "files are moved to another place", so things need to be done carefully.

 Maybe leave the default as is and put these hardening steps in comments
 in php.ini, then anybody can make own decision.