Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:49:32 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: puc(4) man page update?

On Jul 1, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Alexey Shuvaev wrote:

> So, one can still use puc(4) + sio(4) (by removing, for example,
> uart(4) from the kernel)?

Yes.

> Then COM_MULTIPORT is not 100% obsolete yet.

Really? :-)

>>> Attached is a draft of a patch to share/man/man4/puc.4 but maybe
>>> more
>>> work is required (regarding COM_MULTIPORT and sio(4) man page...).
>>
>> I would not mention COM_MULTIPORT in the puc(4) manpage
>> at all. Neither sio(4)...
>>
> I thougt about removing COM_MULTIPORT from the sio(4) both man page
> and source code. If one can still use it, let it be so.

COM_MULTIPORT is just confusing. There are PCI cards that
puc(4) supports and to which puc(4) sio(4) can attach and
that don't report interrupts in a way compatible with
COM_MULTIPORT. In those cases puc(4)+sio(4) is broken,
but puc(4)+uart(4) works.

Really, we should just drop sio(4), focus on a single
serial driver that just works and works everywhere.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com