Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode_if.h: how should it be done ?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> They aren't installed.  You must have a kernel tree to build the kld.
> Just add vnode_if.h to your SRCS and the rest happens automatically
> via bsd.kmod.mk.  It works great.  I do it all the time.  In fact, I
> added SYSDIR support to bsd.kmod.mk at Timing Solutions so that we
> could compile our drivers outside of the tree.

As I understand it, this is the only file which is required from the
kernel sources in order to build the arla port. ISTR FiST also needs it to
be present, and I also think I once came across another port that needed
it too. Is it really so wrong to make the lives of these third-party FS
tools harder by requiring full kernel sources to be present?

Kris