Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:22:42 +0300
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.dev>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Microsoft overwrites boot loader!

Don Wilde wrote:

> On 7/16/20 11:53 PM, Polytropon wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:19:51 -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
>>> The [deleted] ones in Redmond have done it again. My multi-OS GRUB2 boot
>>> loader is gone, and in its place is a 500M partition called 'Windows
>>> boot loader'.
>> They do this all the time. The consensus here is to install
>> "Windows" first, always, restricted to the designated disk
>> space, and _then_ install Linux, FreeBSD, GRUB, or anything
>> else non-"Windows", in order to avoid the exact problem you
>> are describing. Even older versions of "Windows" were known
>> to destroy things like the FreeBSD boot manager when they
>> are installed as a 2nd choice. MICROS~1 always wants you to
>> treat it first class, with golden feet and glockenspiel.
>>
>> However, is my interpretation correct? Did this happen when
>> you _installed_ "Windows" on that machine for the first time,
>> or did it happen after you _booted_ an already installed
>> instance of "Windows", which then did attack "foreign data"
>> on the disk?
> This machine still maintains the original Windows installation, first
> with W7, and then (finally, bad mistake) upgraded to W10.
>>> The purpose is to force us to look at MS' new version of Edge. All my
>>> old boot files are gone.
>> Something like that should never happen. It's absolutely
>> normal that "Windows" installs software without user consent,
>> and then presents it prominently in user-configured areas
>> such as the desktop, the "Start" menu, or the bottom bar
>> (pun absolutely intended), but it should never exceed its
>> authority beyong the border of the "Windows" partition,
>> which clearly means: "Hands off of Grub partition!"
>
> Yes. The bastards also screwed up my 128GB backup drive -- again without
> asking -- when I left it plugged in during a Doze boot.

Y'all must have the special edition of Win10 handed as a punishment to
those who likes to hijack questions@ (and now stable@) with "the grass
was greener" threads :-) I have never seen it do anything with removable
media I have attached, be it FreeBSD, illumos installation usb sticks or
hard drives, or simply some data disks.