Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:25:03 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf options src/sys/gnu/ext2fs ext2_alloc.c ext2_balloc.c ext2_inode.c ext2_lookup.c ext2_subr.c ext2_vnops.c src/sys/i386/i386 busdma_machdep.c machdep.c pmap.c swtch.s trap.c vm86.c vm_machdep.c src/sys/i386/ibcs2 ibcs2_sysi86.

[Cc:'ed to committers as it is important all that all committers read
at least the preliminary]

On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 02:34:06PM -0800, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> eivind      1998/02/04 14:34:05 PST
>
>   Modified files:
[...]
>   Log:
>   Turn DIAGNOSTIC into a new-style option.

This mark the last of the old-style option conversions; please don't
introduce any new ones (globally, that is - the old style is still
convenient for local testing).

The only old-style option left is DEBUG; it means a lot of different
things different places, and should probably mainly be used by

rm file.o; make CC="cc -DDEBUG"

to add debugging to particular places.  So, it is not being converted
:-) In fact, I'm considering converting many of the other debug
options to this form.

On further work:

Unless somebody come up with a better scheme, I'm going to go through
all the header files looking for option dependencies, and add

#if defined(COMPILING_LINT) && !defined(<option>)
#error opt_<option>.h is a prerequisite for <this file>.
#endif

to let compiling LINT catch any bitrot.  It is somewhat repugnant, but
not as bad as the alternatives (the ones I can see, that is.)

I'll try to remove unnecessary option dependencies at the same time.

Eivind.