Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2017 11:26:25 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>, Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>,  "Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gptzfsboot grew a lot after skein support was added; need knob to control bloat

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2017-01-27 12:33, Shawn Webb wrote:

 freebsd-boot partition is too small (I follow manpage directions, exactly,=
 and those seem to be too small as of 10.3-RELEASE timeframe), and I don???=
t have enough space or ability to resize the partition and make it bigger. =
So, I???m in need of a build knob to control the bloat, and/or having an al=
ternative boot loader without geli/skein/crypto support compiled in. Would =
you be opposed to the work?

ourse we also can think of additional knobs, but there is an issue - it won=
t help just to exclude some files, the additional features also do sit in t=
he code, so the replacement stubs will be needed, also testing them all ove=
r will take some time. And the preprocessor spaghetti really is nasty thing=
 to deal with;)

 in first place) - as the kernel does not block user from enabling the feat=
ures, the user can end up facing non-bootable setup which is also not good,=
 as user is using perfectly legal options, and still the whole thing is jus=
t rendered unusable???

>>> I need to do some testing to make a recipe that works for it, but the
>>> other option is to use the ZFS bootcode area.
>>>
>>> ZFS it self, reserves something like 3.5 mb of space in the ZFS
>>> partition, for boot code. This is how we boot ZFS on MBR.
>>>
>>> It should be possible to use this on GPT as well, we just don't.
>>
>> In the future, maybe it'd be a good idea for the installer to leave
>> more space (a few MB, perhaps?) between the freebsd-boot and
>> freebsd-swap partitions? At least, for ZFS installs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> The PMBR code has a limitation for 536kb, and it all has to fit under
> the 640k barrier, so the current 512kb size is plenty. The issue is some
> people are upgrading from systems that were isntalled long ago, when
> 64kb or less was the default.

it's a limitation for the entire partition size, not just the code
size. Which is a trap that's hard to understand at first...

Warner