Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:23:39 -0800
From:      darren kirby <bulliver@badcomputer.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home Network, step by step?

--nextPart5971925.5rHjbil5Bg

quoth the David Adam:
> Darren,
>
> This will not always work. Case in point: The SB5100 Cable Modem. It's
> just a bridge device.

Showing my ignorance here. The switch I bought works like this, so I=20
extrapolated this feature to all switches...

> To do NAT/IP Masquerading, you're probably best off in the long run
> learning how to use one of FreeBSD's fine packet-filtering firewalls:
> the relatively new (to FreeBSD) OpenBSD's pf or the somewhat older ipf. I
> recommend pf - it works very well for me.
>
> The FreeBSD Handbook contains information on firewalls:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
> The pf section is short and sweet to get you up and running with pf:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.ht=
ml

> I hope that helps you.
>
> (And finally, freebsd-newbies is the WRONG LIST for these queries.)

I was trying to give a general answer to the original poster in attempt to=
=20
obtain more details from him, I didn't intend to ask questions...my saying =
we=20
both needed docs was just an off-hand remark, as freebsd firewalls are=20
something I will have to learn soon. I appreciate the links. I followed the=
m=20
to the pf guide at openbsd.org, looks straitforward enough. Unfortunately m=
y=20
freebsd box is set up as a NATed client right now, so I don't have a method=
=20
for actually setting it up in practice. =20

> Cheers,
>
> David Adam
> ---
> zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

=2Dd

PS: sorry for double post, I'm not sure why it did that.

=2D-=20
=2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972