Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:37:42 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rich Siggs <rich@goliath.spirit.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        rich@goliath.spirit.net.au (Rich Siggs)
Subject:   Q: exportable DES library & "DES How To" for 2.1-STABLE

Greetings,

	I am having some grief with the conversion/use of DES password encryption
on my 2.1-STABLE hosts and I'm looking for definitive non-US sources of the DES
source distibutions (des.aa), plus a guide to the migration & use of DES on
2.1 (in particular, I'm lead to believe that there's a version of the DES
distrib that can deal with _both_ DES & MD5 passwords - that'd be good! ;)

	As a bit of background, my motivation for doing this is to upgrade my
Servers from "'ole faithful" (aka. fBSD 1.1.5.1-RELEASE) to 2.1-STABLE, but
avoiding at all costs the saga of forcing password changes on 100s of clients.
(which I'm just not even contemplating.. :|)  My assumption is that once the
right DES s/ware is installed to 2.1, I can simply take fBSD 1.1 master.passwd
over to 2.1, run pwd_mkdb & login without trouble - is this correct?
Finally, I have obtained a (supposed) "non-US" 2.1 des.aa from a site in Japan,
but there were no diffs between its files & those of the "US" des.aa & though
that sure did give me DES passwds, taking a fBSD 1.1 passwd entry over to that
2.1-STABLE host didn't allow me to login.. *sigh*

	Any and all help much appreciated & apologies for any inappropriate
cross-mailing of this message, but I'm also interested in any comments other
fBSD ISPs may have on the subject of migration to 2.1..

Many thanks & keep up the fine work,
Rich.
--
Richard Siggs                                           admin@spirit.net.au