Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:14:20 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   before i even =touch= my server again....

a friend was over to help with things; among them was the fact that
for unknown reasons, my KVM wired don't worse consistantly from my
single keyboad to my [new{2009}] server.  things happened so that we
didn't double-check before my friend left.

mail broke for unknown reasons.  i KVM'd into ethic and fired up
dovecot.  no-joy.  then i figured a theraputic reboot was in order.
Disaster.  all hell broke loose.  i lost keyboard connection to ethic
and coul not ssh in from tao.   long-story-short, after bugging my wife
to reboot umpteen time i got under desk four or five time and got ethic
limping along.   fsck seemed to fix most slices, but a check as root
told me the /var was//IS still dirty.   Q:  how can i umount /var
and run fsck -y without going single-user?  remember that in order to
regain keyboard control of ethic i have to crawl under deskm, muck
around, etc.

an hour+ ago i tried to umount /var AND umount /dev/ad4s2d and keep
getting a busy.  for obvious reasons that my logs are being written to
constantly.  how does fsck work, backgrounded?

[[note that shutting of /etc/mail wouldn't work because my /var/log
directory is constantly filling up with the kiddie cracker output.]]

thanks for any ideas,

gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix