Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:21:24 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd@sietze.com,
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies FAK

(unmangled top posting and reformatted)

> > On Sunday, July 25, 2004 11:01 AM
> > "sietze" <freebsd@sietze.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
>
> > Though not new to Unix I am new to FreeBSD. This weekend, after
> > reading up at lenght, I have done my first installs and I found
> > a couple of issues. The installation documentation does not always
> > reflect the exact process.
> >
> > And after one install the system didn't boot, complaining about
> > a missing kernel.  Searching the FreeBSD archives and Google
> > showed that more people got the same error over time, though no
> > solution was provided in any of the forums.
> >
> > It turned out to be an issue with the drive parameters.
> >
> > Is there any place where I can send the information while it is
> > still fresh on my mind so that future newbies will have less
> > probs during their first installs?
> >
> > Sietze Dijkstra
> > NetAdmin

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:42:16 -0400
"JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net> wrote:

> You can write up a post to the questions list stating your problem
> and what your solution was to get things working. Be sure to use an
> subject that is clear about the problem and that solution is
> included.  Your post will become part of the archives so anyone else
> who has your problem can find solution when searching the archives.

While it may be true that it becomes part of the archives, nothing
in the documentation will get changed this way and new users are not
likely to find it easily.

If you have suggestions for improvement to the existing
documentation, its best to file a problem report "PR" or send
the change to freebsd-doc@freebsd.org .  Then, new users will see
the information before they begin to install and not have to go
thru an archive search.

Your interest in improving the documentation is much appreciated.
Its a community effort and everyone's input is helpful.

BTW, Welcome to FreeBSD.  I hope you have as much fun with it as
I've had.

Best regards,

Randy