Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:00:25 -0559 (CST)
From:      "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elfkit-1.0.1 announcement

According to John Polstra:

> Elfkit is a collection of tools for compiling and executing ELF
> programs under FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE and later.  It consists of:
>
>     * Patches for gcc-2.7.2, to make it support ELF under FreeBSD.
>     * Patches for binutils-2.6, to make it support ELF under FreeBSD.
>     * Patches for libc from FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE, to support building it
>       as an ELF shared library.
>     * An ELF dynamic linker.
>     * A user-level test program that can invoke the dynamic linker to
>       load and execute ELF programs under FreeBSD.
>
>     * gcc-2.7.2.tar.gz, from any GNU site.
>     * binutils-2.6.tar.gz, from any GNU site.
>     * The sources for libc, from FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE.

Does this mean that with ELF, we could use a current version of gas with
patches?  If so, this is the best reason to use ELF I have heard yet!

Boyd

        Boyd Faulkner            "The fates lead him who will;
   faulkner@asgard.bga.com       Him who won't, they drag."
http://asgard.bga.com/~faulkner  Old Roman Saying -- Source:  Joseph Campbell