Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:44:40 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on backups

On 12/5/18 4:29 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I manage a couple of servers on the internet. There are no backup or
> test servers, so I have to do everything on live systems that are
> serving webpages, handling mail, etc.
>
> Historically, I've used rsync and ssh to backup server1 to server2 and
> vice versa. I decided I would prefer an offsite backup system in case
> both servers failed at the same time, and because server2 was running
> out of space because of backups.

I used bacula for quite long, and recently I'm gradually switching to
bacula's fork: bareos. I really recommend bareos (or bacula), it is real
backup, open source, enterprise level quality, etc... And yes, I did
have to recover stuff, including versions on particular date etc.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri