Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 20:30:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: copyright notices for ports/packages

> > (1) Require the ports to put them in a fixed location, for example,
> >     ${PREFIX}/share/${PKGNAME}/Copyright.  This can be done by using a
> >     post-install target.
>
> Counter-proposal:
>
> Each port must register its copyright notices into:
> 	${PREFIX}/share/copyrights/${PKGNAME}
>
> Registry of a copyright notice may be either:
> 	1. A special port-specific copyright unique from any available
> 	   "boilerplate" copyright, such as the GPL.
>
> 	2. A link to a boilerplate copyright in ${PREFIX}/share/copyrights
> 	   (e.g. "${PREFIX}/share/copyrights/${PKGNAME}/license -> ../GPL").
>
> 	   If the target of a link does not exist, the port install target
> 	   should copy one from a known location in the ports tree into
> 	   place first.  Thus only one copy of a boilerplate license
> 	   is retained.

It's not up to us to require that end-users keep the copyrights
lying around after the binaries are installed. Whether we leave
them sitting in the source directory or move them to some central
place makes no difference to that point.

I think having a COPYRIGHT file in the ports area for each port would
be a good idea though so that *we* can easily check the validity of
a ports license since I came across the msql license buried in the
directory hierarchy.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul