Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:38:55 -0400
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>, Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsnmpd vs net-snmp

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system
>> parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. SNMP is an obvious
>> choice to do the monitoring and I'm planning to set up rrdtool to
>> generate graphs of captured data. The question is what SNMP agent to
>> use. I found net-snmp and bsnmpd (which is included in the base
>> system). Has anyone here used both implementations, and if so, what
>> are the basic differences?
>>

> I use bsnmpd, because I couldn't measure 64-bit counters otherwise.

net-snmp has no problems providing 64-bit counters (interface and
disk).  You must build it with -DWITH_MFD_REWRITES (passes
--with-mfd-rewrites to ./configure).  I do not know why this is not the
default.  It works just fine.  I also have a PR open to make this define
a ports 'make config' option (therefore a persistent setting), but the
maintainer has ignored this.